Why is reading with your kids important?

Jack Staples and the Ring of Time - Kindle edition by Mark Batterson, Joel N. Clark. Children Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com. 2015-01-10 23-08-13You and I were created for one purpose: To glorify God and enjoy him forever. The very first thing God did with Adam was talk to him. They walked and talked together in the garden every day. You and I walk and talk with God by reading his word. That’s the best reason I can think of to give the joy of reading to my children. There are other reasons, too.

• Stories are entertaining. What’s the point of reading a novel if it doesn’t delight us?
  • Stories are educational. Life lessons are learned by observing characters as they make good choices and not-so-good choices.
  • Stories are enlightening. Great novels should say things that can’t be plainly articulated in an essay, dialog, or lecture.

4 ways to get kids excited about reading?

1. Love stories yourself. Read your own novels to set an example, and read aloud with your kiddos. My favorite memories are of snuggle time on the sofa as I read some adventurous story aloud to my children.
  2. Choose good books. Stories our children can relate to are the most fun for them. My children always liked stories that had a likable hero who saved the day by overcoming the bad guy.
  3. Talk about books. If the whole family enjoys a book together, it’s fun to bring up a scene and find out what everyone thought about it. This happened most of the time in the car for us.
  4. Create opportunities for kids to discuss books. Once our children were in 3rd or 4th grade, we invited other families to read books with us. Then, once a month we ate a cool themed meal and talked about the story together. We’ve been doing this since 2001. We read the classics with our high school children. There are tons of books for younger children that provide great discussion material.

I read a book recently that you might want to share with your children and grandchildren, Jack Staples and the Ring of Time, by Mark Batterson and Joel N. Clark. The authors used their imaginations to dream up adventures that C. S. Lewis, a.k.a. Jack, might have enjoyed as a boy. I was delighted with a scene in the book that took my imagination straight to Narnia. I don’t want to spoil it for you, so I’ll just give you one example. Jack gets in big trouble at a circus, and a giant lion rescues him and then seems to disappear.

Jack Staples and the Ring of Time, the first book of the trilogy, is exciting, family-friendly, and Christian-themed. It will entertain, enlighten, and hopefully give you plenty of stuff to talk about with your little ones. The second in the series came out this month, Jack Staples and the City of Shadows.

I would like to give one lucky person a copy of this delightful tale. If you are interested in winning a copy, leave me a comment in the comment section below. At the end of the week, I will put the names in a hat and draw out a winner. 

To learn more about Mark Batterson and Joel Clark visit their websites:

Mark Batterson: http://www.markbatterson.com/books/

Joel N. Clark: http://www.joelnclark.com/ 

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Comments

1. Thank you, Ali, for this review. I have never heard of this book, but am excited to read it now to my kids! We are a big read aloud family and I have read all of the Narnia books to my older kids and will read them to the younger ones as well. Right now, I am reading The Witch of Blackbird Pond to my 7th grader and Charlotte’s Web (again!) to my 7 yo. It is a wonderful thing to hear your 7 yo recite a part of the book at the dinner table with the family. “Fern, what is the capital of Pennsylvania?”…”Wilbur”! He thinks this is hysterical! 🙂 I would love to have a chance to read the book you reviewed! Thank you! Have a wonderful day!

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge