3 Things Successful Homeschoolers Understand

I-was-wrong1I spoke at my very first homeschool conference last weekend and sponsored a booth, too.  It’s been quite a while since I attended one of these events. I had forgotten how valuable it is to spend time with others who share my vision.

I met a lady who taught in the public schools for years and started homeschooling her kindergartener last year. She told me stories about her children and the progress they were making. She said her husband was skeptical a few years ago and now he sends her articles about the advantages of homeschooling. She radiated with excitement about her life and her family. This beautiful woman’s enthusiasm uncovered three very wrong conclusions that have kept me from attending homeschool conferences in the last few years. In hindsight, these opinions hindered my success as a homeschooling mom.

I convinced myself I didn’t need to go because:

1. I have all the curriculum I need.
  2. I will read about new products online.
  3. I’ve been doing this for over two decades. What do I need to learn? {{SHAME ON ME for thinking so pridefully.}}

Homeschool conferences contribute to our success in at least 3 ways.

• Experience new products. Business owners, authors, and other professionals stay up-to-date in their industry. Why shouldn’t we? Even though I am approaching the end of my homeschool journey, that doesn’t mean I will stop knowing people who still do it. It’s nice to be able to recommend something that might help someone else.
  • First-hand knowledge. It is one thing to read about a product or book online; it’s another to speak to the author. If I am really interested in a curriculum, then I need to know as much about it as I can before I buy, especially if it costs more than 15 or 20 dollars. Many authors and product inventors sponsor booths at the conventions. In their absence, you will find a representative who is trained to answer all of your questions. The ones I met last weekend were very laid-back and had no intention of pushing their products on me. They genuinely want to help and encourage.
  • Be encouraged. Homeschool conferences secure a wonderful list of speakers for us so we can learn new things and remember why we are working so hard for our family. These ladies and gentlemen have a heart for homeschooling, a heart for you and your family, or they would not take the time and put forth the effort required to be there. In the beginning, we know we need this. After a few years, it’s easy to get settled into our routine, like I did, and forget how exciting homeschooling can be. The speakers and workshops remind us how fortunate we are to be able to teach our children.

Homeschooling is a long journey, one that can’t be walked alone. A homeschool conference is a nice tool we can take advantage of to help us along the way and keep us excited about our job.

Whether you are new to homeschooling like my new friend or a veteran like me, what is your favorite thing about attending a homeschool conference?

In June I will be speaking at the Teach Them Diligently Conference in Dallas, TX. If you want a sneak peak at what I’m sharing, check it out here. Worldview Conversations, 5 Simple Tools 

I have enjoyed working with the TTD staff so much. I just know it’s going to be a conference you don’t want to miss. If you live in the area or know someone who does, have her check out the Teach Them Diligently Facebook page and put it on her calendar. 

If you’re curious about The LITClub or have been thinking of starting a book club for your children, hop over to this page.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge