A Proper Thank-You Note Template For Your High School Graduate

Share Button

thank you

Photo by Jen Collins

Showing gratitude is an act of love.

Today, the platform for sending a note of thanks is broader than ever before. The message hasn’t changed, though. Nor has the format. I studied Communications at Berry College. I still remember how surprised I was to find out that there was a proper way to say thank you. Until then, it had never occurred to me that there were good, better, and best ways to show one’s gratitude in a note. Afterwards, I can’t imagine following any other format to say, “Thank you!”

How will a thank-you note template help my graduate?

A thank-you note template will keep him on track.  I don’t know about you, but repetitive tasks make me a little crazy. After about 25 or 30 of the same thing, my mind slows down. I begin to daydream. My work bogs down until a nap would be the only thing that seemed appealing. A template halts the temptation to doze off. Most of the time, when a person doesn’t know what to write about, he needs a little nudge to get him going. The thank-you note template tells him what kind of work each section should accomplish. This kick starts his imagination. Then, all he has to do is fill in the personal points about a particular gift.

A thank-you note template will make his work go faster. 100 or even 200 thank you cards is a daunting task. If I have a format to use, I won’t sit in front of my cards, blank faced, wishing I could go hang out anywhere except my desk. Because he doesn’t have to sit in front of each card with writer’s block, he can get more cards written in less time. Another advantage that makes the work more efficient is that with a template, you see what categories need to be covered. This allows you to avoid saying the same thing more than once. The notes might be shorter using this method. However, they will be more meaningful.

A thank-you note template allows the graduate to make every note personal. The writer should express how the he felt about the gift, what he intends to do with it, and his gratitude for it. The personal message for each line of the template makes every note unique.

If you don’t already have a thank-you note template, you might like this one.

• Dear ….. Start off by addressing the person the way you would if he were in your living room.  If it’s a family member, use the personal name you’ve used all your life: Dear Aunt Bee, Dear Sylvia.
  • The importance of the gift. Tell the giver how or why the gift is important to you. It might sound something like this: “The coffee pot you sent to me is great.” Don’t stop there. The word great is nondescript. Tell your giver how the coffee pot is specifically great for you. “My dorm room comes completely unequipped, and, as you know, I love coffee.” If you say the gift was the perfect gift, then tell them the reason it is perfect. Everyone knows that a graduate gets dozens of gifts. When you get specific, you show that you aren’t just filling out a  bunch of cards to check off your list to show that you’ve done the right thing.
  • The feeling you got from the gift. Now it’s time to add a bit about how you feel about the gift. You can either express how you felt when you received it, or how using it will make you feel. Again, you aren’t focusing this part on you, even though you are expressing your feelings. Choose your words so that your message points to your giver, and not you. Take a look at this: “Every time I use the coffee pot, I will be reminded of your generosity.” Even though this doesn’t use a “feely” word, it gets the point across; their generosity warms your heart.
  • Statement of gratitude. Write a direct sentence of gratitude. “Thank you for remembering me on my graduation and for taking the time to choose a gift for me.” Or, “It was so thoughtful of you to take the time to choose a gift that you knew I would need. Thank you.”
  • Sign off. Sincerely, Your Name

I didn’t number these points because there isn’t an exact, correct order. You can make your direct statement first, last, or in the middle.

Have your graduate keep these 5 things in mind when writing his thank-yous.

1. Don’t repeat yourself.
  2. Say thank you only once. This includes the temptation to say it several different ways and possibly miss the other points.
  3. Include a statement that shows the giver that his present is important to you.
  4. Express how you feel about the giver and the gift.
  5. Write a direct statement of gratitude.

Did you learn anything new? Share a helpful technique that will help us write better thank-you notes?

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge