3 Reason Comic Books are Great Literature

Shutterstock 2513537I stepped back into the writing world in 2010. I committed myself to embrace all the new changes. Even though I couldn’t wrap my mind around social media, I believed it was a useful tool.

My writing friends started from scratch. They learned their way around easily enough. I dove in head first with a good attitude. I fell flat on my face. Got back up, fell down again.  I studied my attempts, looking for the error of my ways. Then, compared it to the expert’s advice. Empty handed, I wanted to give up.

Determined to find a way, I read Platform, by Michael Hyatt. He showed me the big picture about social media and a writer’s life. A visual understanding emerged about how the parts fit into the whole. My confidence grew. I made a plan. I get it now!

Without an understanding of the whole picture, former action plans were a shotgun splatter into an abyss. Once I could see the big picture, assimilating the details was easy. I developed a rifle approach that worked for Ali Dent.

A person who doesn’t enjoy reading may feel the way I did — lost in an unknown world, wishing there was a way to love books.

Being told, “Social media was good for my business” wasn’t enough. I needed to see the machine before using its parts.

In the same way, telling a nonreader, “Books are good for you,” won’t cause him to come in from the backyard and read a book unless he has to.

Maybe there’s something he can’t see.

Imagining a story while reading is a key to enjoying the story.  Books are no more than a bunch of black lines on a page screaming at you that you are broken if you can’t make a movie in your head while reading.

There’s an easy fix for this.

1. Make it fun. In our home we get together with other families once a month, have a meal and talk about a book we all read.
  2. Spark his imagination. You might want to sit down for this one. Even if he is in high school, let him read graphic novels or the Illustrated Classic series. Many, Many classics are written in both of these formats. His mind can soak up the pictures as he reads. Eventually his brain will make the pictures without help. Think of this approach as giving your child support and not a crutch.
  3. Encourage him. If your non-reader is older than six or seven, he might secretly think he is broken. Tell him that the story is the important part of reading, not the edition he reads. Building his confidence will go farther in making him a reader than anything else.

I challenge you to a 30-day trial. 

• Gather a group of your friends who have children your child enjoys being with.
  • Form a literature club.
  • Meet once a month.
  • Read books together.
  • Allow the kids to read on their level regardless of their ages.

The kids will process ideas on an age appropriate level during the book conversation. A non-reader isn’t daft, slow or unintelligent.

At the end of one month ask yourself, did my reluctant reader seem to enjoy this book more than usual? Her reading skills may or may not improve drastically, but her pleasure surrounding books grow.

You can try this out!  If you liked this post and would like to receive more like it, just sign up to receive them into your email. Then download my free eBook Transforming The Hunger Games into an Experience.

After 30 days check back with me and let me know how it went. If you have questions please ask. Leave me comments here or like my page on Facebook and leave me a message there.

How do you feel about allowing your child to read a graphic novel instead of the unabridged version?

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge