Stories are Windows to Our Souls

In the LITClub we read classic stories. Every story has a beginning, middle, and end, a tension that needs to be resolved, and characters we understand.   LITClub discussions provide an opportunity to connect to the the human condition and reflect on it, drawing conclusions and making decisions about how we want to live.

Who in your family is most like Winnie Pooh, Tigger, Rabbit, Piglet, Eore, Kanga and Roo? Ask any five year old and he’ll tell you exactly who, in his family, is most like the characters in Winnie the Pooh.  Try it. It’s fun!

Making connections with characters in a story transforms them from two-dimensional concepts to 3-D animated creations that we love or despise. Some characters are good. Some are bad. Others are irritating. We love good characters we hate the villain or maybe not and think we should. The real human condition is put under a spotlight in a story and we see our valor and our need for grace. Making connections like this actually makes the story more powerful. It’s the reason we turn the page.  Discussing these things with our friends causes us to grow.

A good story, like Winnie the Pooh, entertains us and reminds us of who we are and how we interact with others in good times and under pressure. Reflecting on this provides us with an chance to grow and change.

LITClub conversations provide this kind of opportunity in a non threatening, fun and social environment. If you would like to give it a try check out my book The LITClub, Transforming Reading Into An Experience, an easy step-by-step- guide for designing a classical book club for you and your family. 

What makes you turn the page?

If you love stories, then I want to invite you to sign up for The Living Outside the Lines newsletter where you’ll get all kinds of exclusive content and sneak peeks into upcoming releases and events.

The Living Outside the Lines Newsletter

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Comments

1. Winnie The Pooh has always been a favourite of mine too. Through children's bedtime stories to now grandchildren's, those stories are my first choice. Good post, Ali!
    Patricia Sands recently posted..A fine example of friendshipMy Profile

2. Kristen Lamb says:

I loved "The Giving Tree." It always made me cry and still does, but the tree is the picture of Christ and his relationship with us. We can be so self-centered, but the tree (Christ) still gives us what we need and loves us anyway and loves us to the end.

This is a wonderful post. Great job!

• Kristen, I never thought about the giving tree that away but I think you are exactly right. Thank you for the affirmation. It means a lot coming from you. you are so kind.

3. Hi Ali,

My son is Tigger 🙂

• I have a Rabbit, Piglet, Pooh, Tigger , and Eeyore in my family. I'm a mixture of Rabbit, Piglet and Tigger. Weird combo.

4. Hi Ali,

First, your blog looks AMAZING! Kudos to Erin and you for such a lovely site. I'm green with . . . anticipation (heh, fooled you) until I can snag her for myself.

Second, I love Winne the Pooh. We spent so much time in those books that when I saw your pic and video I got all misty-eyed. The girls still call their grandfather Eeyore.

Of the Winnie the Pooh tales that influenced me. . . I'd have to with the one with Winnie gets stuck in the hole and has to wait until he lose a few pounds before he can leave. So funny. We had it on audio tape and the actor who did Winnie's voice as he waited and waited is imprinted in my head.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! 🙂

Bridge

5. Oh, such wonderful childhood memories! I don't think my memories are strong enough for me to know which character I'd be (unless I get lazy and pick Kanga or Roo because I'm Aussie). But this post has made me want to dust off my old books. I'm so glad all my books will come out of storage next month!

6. interesting insights you are sharing. I love the way you are writing it. Is there any way I could sign up for more?

7. Yes, there is a way to sign up for more. The wonderful lady doing the design work for this blog is working on the buttons to make it easy to follow the blog. When she has them up, I will send you a note.

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge