Middle School LITClub

A literature club for 7-17 year olds meets at my house once a month to discuss great books in history. It’s called The LITClub and it’s a ton of fun! Recently we enjoyed an awesome meeting together. The younger kids, 7-12 came to my house prepared to discuss and present their “Interview a Character” project on Escape from Warsaw. At 4:30, parents and kids descended upon my home, some in costume and others scurrying about changing into costume and finding their partners for the interview project. I called the meeting to order and we had a intelligent discussion about the elements and techniques in the book and the worldview of the author and the worldview portrayed in the book. After our discussion, the children presented their interview projects for the whole group, building public speaking skills and personal confidence. I love our evenings together. The children hold my attention and amaze me every month when we get together. Many people think children under 12 aren’t able to discuss the deeper things in classical literature but I strongly disagree. If you’ve wished to discuss great books with your children and their friends, I encourage you to give it a try. You don’t have to have an English degree to have great discussion and a wonderful time together. Do you want to start a book club? What holds you back? How can I help you? Connect with me and I’ll do my best to help you get started. If you love stories, then I want to invite you to sign up for The Living Outside the Lines newsletter where you’ll get all kinds of exclusive content and sneak peeks into upcoming releases and events.

The Living Outside the Lines Newsletter

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Comments

1. Hi Ali! I am in the process of getting my Middle School licensure to teach English, and the idea of the LIT Club is so exciting. I would’ve loved it as a kid, and as a teacher, I know that engaging with literature in a dynamic way outside the classroom is an invaluable experience.

Looking forward to exploring your blog more!

2. Hey Catherine, congratulations on getting your licensure to teach English. Your enthusiasm comes through in the comment you made. Our kids need teachers like you. I’m glad you want to spend some time here at my place. It would be fun to chat with you about your plans and ideas. If you are on Facebook, send me a message and keep me updated about what you are doing with the kids. I’ve been having LITClub groups since 2002 and I have seen so many children’s reading lives transformed. My favorite stories are the ones who “hated” reading until their moms forced them to join. After a couple of meetings their moms couldn’t have restrained them from coming. It’s the social element that lures them in. I think the conversations feed their brains and that is strangely alluring as well. My Facebook is: https://www.facebook.com/AliDentAuthor
    Ali Dent recently posted..Middle School LITClubMy Profile

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge