Transformation of a Nonreader

“I Hate Reading”

I created Literature Club so my children would have a group of friends to hang out with, and I wanted them to read great books and learn to talk about their thoughts in a group.  I’ve been doing this since 2002 and still love the process. At our clubs we eat dinner, the children present a project they prepared at home, we discuss the book they read during the previous month and then I give them a literature lesson for the next book on the list.

In the beginning, most of the children join the club because their mother asks them to. The readers in the group don’t need much persuasion to participate, but a non-reader sometimes dreads coming at first and that’s okay. I have yet to have a dreading, non-reader remains so. Why? We make it really, really fun.

The first reason all the children want to come back but especially the non-reader is the play/hanging out time before the meeting, during dinner and after the meeting. The next thing they enjoy are the projects. In the end the non reader surprises himself at how much he likes the discussions. It’s a process worth the wait.

As you can see the project for each book is a big draw for the children, and mothers too. It’s a lot of fun watching them present these and see their confidence grow book by book. Many of the projects are created at home and brought to the meeting to share but a few of the projects are put together at my house. When we read The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling, the project was called Food Art. At home the children were asked to look on the internet or books at the library to find pictures of food made into animals and trees that would be seen in a jungle. We had so much fun. If you haven’t created projects with your group I highly encourage you do so. The memories are priceless and if it changes a non-reader into a reader isn’t it worth millions?

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Comments

1. Fantastic Idea, Ali. If my kids were young and still at home I would do this in a heartbeat. Your kids are so fortunate to have you.

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge