Is reading really all that important?

Think It Out

by Scott Summers

We’ve read books together in our home and with a literature group their whole life. It’s as common as drinking water. So common that I wonder if it’s making an impact at all. I often feel like the cobbler whose children have no shoes. Our literature club reads, prepares projects and discusses the classics every month. Many of the children, boys and girls are so excited to attend. My boys are glad we have it because they get to see their friends, but they don’t express a lot of excitement.

I wonder, does the LITClub matter if my child isn’t jumping for joy about reading books?

Would he be better off if we spent time doing another kind of club? Does he really need to learn to reason well?

One day, I overheard my boys, James  who was 16 at the time, and Jon, 13 sitting in the den talking instead of studying.

“Did you notice the first and last names of all the characters start with the same letter?”

I continued eavesdropping, holding back an irresistible urge to jump into their book conversation. They were discussing characters and making connections to things the author did in book three of a series that alluded to book 1. They shared their opinions about things they thought were lame and funny. They were using their understanding of the literary technique, allusion. They were enjoying books together without any help from me. I concluded that LITClub does matter even when the child isn’t jumping for joy about reading an old, dusty book. LITClub matters even when the child isn’t jumping for joy about reading an old, dusty book. [Tweet this quote]

Addendum: I wrote this post in August of 2013. My oldest son has since then entered college. Countless times he comes home from school excited about something he knew how to do that most others didn’t. Invariably he mentions his LITClub experience.

What about you? Do you think literature club is worthwhile?

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge