Medieval Scraps

Here at Living Outside the Lines we think reading the classics is fun because we make it fun! There are so many new and exciting modern stories to choose from that the idea of reading an old book might seem dismal. And, you know what, it just might be a dreary experience without a little help to spice it up. In a previous post, A Timeless Beginning, we talked about how digging into the context the author’s life or the setting in which he placed his characters brings an old book to life. A themed meal accomplishes the same thing. We do both of these activities at our literature club meetings, but we also prepare exciting projects. In my opinion, the effort behind the scenes of the project gives a workout to critical thinking skills and the enjoyment is found in the presentation of the project.

I’m excited about the project for The Witch of Blackbird Pond, by Elizabeth George Speare. It’s a new one for us and I think it is going to be fantastic. This is our last book for the year. In the past we have played games that tied all the books together and that is a lot of fun, but I had the crazy idea of asking the kids to make a scrapbook about the books we read in during our Medieval studies this year. As usual I leave a lot of room for their creativity to wiggle around, but if you want to see the exact instructions, here you go. I will probably mention his to them at our next meeting so they can begin to plan.

What about you? Have you scrapbooked a story before?

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge