Help! I Don’t Know What Ē-ssay To Write

Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead.” — Gene Fowler

Have you ever felt like this? I have. When I was in school, if I was told to write about anything I wanted that was a signal for my brain to run in circles like a dog chasing it’s tail. Therefore, I like to give my writing students a place to start.

If you are using the essay prompts from Living Outside the Lines as part of your curriculum this year you might find this post, What Did Ē-ssay helpful. It includes simple definitions for the various types of essays you might want to assign your child to write and links to a couple of reviews on writing curriculum. If you would like to take the tension out of grading your child’s writing assignments you might find these files helpful. Essay Rubric, General Grading Guidelines for Essays, or A Grading Rubric Helps the Student and Teacher.

If you are reading The Three Musketeers with us you might like these essay topics.

Essay Questions for High School

Theme: Friendship

What is the basis of friendship in The Three Musketeers? Write a cause and effect essay and use D’Artagnan, Aramis, Athos, and Porthos and the fact that they are such different people and they end up being friends?

Theme: Love

Define love from a Biblical perspective. Then define as it is used in other contexts. Use this information to write a compare/contrast essay about the Duke’s love for Anne of Austria? Does he love her according to the true meaning of love or does he love the idea of her? What drives the human heart to love the idea of something? What do we love more than or God or other people? Be specific. Avoid generalizations like pride or selfishness.

Theme: Pride

The author handles pride in The Three Musketeers in an interesting way. Athos is too proud to take money from the man he killed. D’Artagnan is too proud to accept money from the Duke of Buckingham. In another light, Porthos and Aramis freely accept money from their mistresses. Write an expository essay about pride and money. Use examples from the story to explain the facts you present about pride and money.

Theme: Society and Class

In The Three Musketeers we have four young men – Athos, Porthos, Aramis, and D’Artagnan – each with his own servant.– Grimaud, Mousqueton, Bazin, and Planchet. Write a compare/contrast essay about the master/servant relationship between each pair?

Write a compare/contrast essay about how appearance and class are related in this story?

Theme: Revenge

Revenge has been one of the main themes in all the novels we have read this year.

Choose one of these assignments:

Select two novels and write a compare/contrast essay about the presentation of revenge.

Select two characters from different novels and write a literature essay with a thesis statement similar to, “Revenge is a common theme in classic novels during medieval history.”

Theme: Ambition

Write a descriptive essay that answers this question, “Who is the most ambitious character in The Three Musketeers?

Write a compare/contrast essay that shows the similarities and differences in the ambitions of the four friends: Athos, Porthos, Aramis, and D’Artagnan.

Theme: Loyalty

How is loyalty repaid in The Three Musketeers? How is loyalty demonstrated? Who is loyal to whom and why? Write an expository essay about loyalty in The Three Musketeers.

Essay Questions for Kid

Theme: Friendship

Define friendship. Using this definition, write a 5-paragraph essay about the basis of friendship in The Three Musketeers.

Theme: Pride

In the beginning, D’Artagnan’s pride looks comical – he gives the evil eye to the people who laugh at his horse. Write a 5-paragraph essay showing the other ways the author shows us pride in the story.

Theme: Society and Class

Write a research essay or paragraph that includes facts from this time period, about the way appearance and class are related. Conclude the essay by showing what God has to say about this subject.

Theme: Revenge

Write an expository paragraph or essay about the relationship between pride and revenge in The Three Musketeers.

Revenge has been a theme in all the stories we have read this year. Write a compare/contrast paper that either compares revenge as it was shown to us in two different stories or compares two revengeful characters from different novels.

Theme: Mortality

Write an expository essay or paragraph that discusses dueling. Consider the fact that dueling is illegal in The Three Musketeers and people do it anyway? Why is that?

Theme: Loyalty

How is loyalty repaid in The Three Musketeers? How is loyalty demonstrated? Who is loyal to whom and why? Write an expository essay about loyalty in The Three Musketeers.

What about you? Do you think that it helps the learning process to connect history, literature and writing? Why?

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge