Beowulf. Warrior. King. Savior?

Photo by andreeabalasa

The Dr. Wulfgar Show was a success! If you didn’t have a chance to read the post explaining this project, take a minute and read about the Beowulf Project. It is such simple project that one might wonder if there is value to this project beyond the fun factor? I think there is. In fact, it is my opinion that working with fun ideas actually frees up brain power for comprehension and critical thinking. One of the benefits of this project is that the kids have to think deeper into the characters’ hearts and minds in order to write the script for the project.

So what?

It’s one thing to read a story and enjoy it at face value, but to read it and think about it is another thing entirely. One isn’t better than the other, just different. In our literature club, we read the classics on purpose. The goal is to grow our critical reading and thinking skills. Therefore, a project that asks us to think beyond the surface of a story,  meets this goal. And I say, why not make it as fun as possible?

Take a look at the project in action.
James and James

Annie and Collin

Charis and Ella

Celeste interviews Beowulf

Sarah and Julia, Sarah interviews Grendel’s mother

How about you? Have you read Beowulf? What do you think about this project?

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Comments

1. Those interviews are a scream. I’m always so impressed with how creative your literature kids get. Beowulf is one of my all-time favorite stories. We used to something similar to this in my honors English class in high school, I still remember most of the projects we had.

2. I am really impressed with these kids too. Each time we meet I am most excited and filled with anticipation about what they will do. The project directions are left a little loose so that there is room for interpretation. I like that because it gives the kids some room to let their imaginations rock and roll.

3. Angela Orlowski-Peart says:

I want to echo Tameri – the creativity of those kids is amazing and very inspiring. It’s been a while since I’ve read Beowulf. I think I need to re-read it sometime soon 🙂

• If you have the time I encourage you to read it again. Reading it as an adult is a different experience. If you do, pop me note and let me know what you think about it.

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge