A Dragon’s Lair Filled with High School Essays

At Living Outside the Lines reading classical literature is fun. We make it fun in a number of ways: themed meals, interesting and engaging projects and lots of social time. Some of the homeschooling families use Living Outside the Lines as their high school English curriculum. In light of that need, I set up the club like a smorgasbord of tools so that each family can decide what they want. At the club we eat, discuss great books, present projects and hang out for a long time.

Other tools available to the families are vocabulary lists of 80 to 100 words per book and writing assignment ideas. Here is a short list taken from the writing assignment sheet for Beowulf. Help yourself if you think these will help your child. Is the task of assigning writing akin to entering a dragon’s lair and stealing his treasure? If so, I have General Grading Guidelines for Essays and anEssay Rubric that might extinguish your fears.

Essays for High School

Compare and contrast Beowulf with another epic that you have read.

Write an essay that defines courage from a Christian perspective. Compare and contrast this to our culture’s idea of courage.

Analyze Beowulf as an epic hero.

If you have read or have time to read The Hobbit, then write an essay discussing the role of treasure, magic, and the dragon in both Beowulf and The Hobbit.

Essays for Kids

Define generosity? Tell about God’s thoughts on it? Write about the most generous person you know.

Define reputation. Why does the Bible say it’s important?

Define leadership. What characteristics does a leader have? Name some modern leaders and tell about what they do.

What about you? Does preparing writing assignments intimidate you? How do you fight back?

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Comments

1. I have had tremendous success with Beowulf. Recently, I assigned a paper that compared Beowulf to Superman. Kids loved it. Nice blog. With your permission, I will add it to by blogroll.

Best,

S. Thomas Summers
    Author of Private Hercules McGraw: Poems of the American Civil War

• I love the idea of comparing Beowulf to Superman although I would enjoy writing the comparison using SPiderman but that’s just a superhero preference. So glad you dropped by.

2. Thank you for your statement of faith. I too am a believer and do my best to nurture a relationship with our amazing Father everyday.

God bless,

S. Thomas Summers
    Author of Private Hercules McGraw: Poems of the American Civil War

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge