Turn Reading into a Chocolate Experience

Literature Club Experience!

Reading Check List

OR

Our reading club is designed to be an experience. Not an event or a task or a class or a meeting. It’s an experience. If you separate each part of our evening from the other parts you are left with a list of tasks. You might judge one as fun or the other as boring or difficult or useless maybe, depending on your bent. But when you blend them together it’s a recipe for something great.

Let me explain. Every academic subject has lessons right? So a literature lesson is no different. Many academic subjects have projects. Right? There are subjects that require the students to interact with a teacher. Most students eat lunch during the school day, right? We do all these things at literature club too. It’s as if anyone of these tasks in isolation is just a task but when blended with all the other tasks a whole new entity is created. I call it an EXPERIENCE. It’s much more alive than a course of study. My husband describes it like this, “If literature club is a theatrical play, the books are the backdrop and the people the actors.”

The project for our Iliad Experience is to Create Board Games using literary elements. These are the creations from March 2012. You will see completely original game, an ILiad version of Candy Land and Clue, a matching game, go fish, and a word search. If you’re class is working on projects for The Iliad, please feel free to use the designs our young people created.

How do you make reading an experience? Enjoyable?

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Comments

1. Ali, I am so impressed by your many pursuits. There are no words that can do you justice, but I am guessing that accolades are not your goal. I would love to be a student in your sphere. Two agents come to mind regarding your non-fiction current project.

Katharine Sands: http://www.sarahjanefreymann.com/about.html
    Donald Maass: http://www.maassagency.com/

Some time ago, on my blog, I wrote a summary of a master class presented by agent Katharine Sands, and though it is somewhat long, you can read it here: http://marionspicher.wordpress.com/2010/11/03/writing-a-perfect-pitch/

And I would let them know that if you don’t hear from them by a certain date, that self publishing will be one of your options. If not already a fan of Bob Meyer’s “Write it Forward”, found at http://writeitforward.wordpress.com/ I consider him the expert of the times in the self publishing field. He offers excellent advice backed by his experience, along with what to avoid. Sorry if you already know all this, but hope some of it gives you a lead or two. Again, thanks for all you do!

• Ali Dent says:

Marion,
      How sweet of you to share these names with me. And no, I don’t already know the information you share here. I want an agent more than anything. She will already have the expertise to handle the business side. If I self publish I will have a steep hill to climb but I will if I have to. I believe the time is right for this book.

2. Ali, your new home resembles your old home so much that I kept looking at the kids and asking WHO is that? lol. The games look very creative. Bet they had a good time.

• Ali Dent says:

They had a great time. It’s all so new to this group. I felt proud of them and of course, as always, I was entertained by their enthusiasm and insight.

3. Those games look awesome!!!

• Ali Dent says:

Raelyn, the kids did such a good job. I never know how the assignment will be interpreted so it’s exciting to me to see the outcomes.

4. WOW! I’m super impressed! I love how creative kids can be when they’re inspired! Good for you.

• Ali Dent says:

They amaze me every month. An idea comes to me for a project and I usually think, “Whew, I don’t think I could do that project now much less when I was younger.” No kidding. Then at the meetings I have so much fun as I sit in awe of their accomplishments. Glad you like the kid’s inspiration.

5. Can I please come to your ‘classes’? These posts on your literature club are so fun! I love how you make the reading integrative to life. Fabulous!!

• Ali Dent says:

I wish you could come. I’ve always wanted writers and authors to speak to the kids and parents. When we discuss the books one of my favorite topics is, “Why did the writer….?” If you’re ever in San Anton, please let me know.

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge