Till We Have Faces, What is Real?

Dual Face

Photo by Farhana Sultana Karim

Our Home School Classical Literature Club is reading Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis. We will eat a greek meal and discuss the book on Monday. The kids will present their projects and we’ll have a marvelous time.

Till We Have Faces is one of the last books C.S. Lewis wrote and he said it was one of his favorites. This is my second time to read it. I think it’s one of those books that becomes richer with each reading. In the story, Orual, the main character is ugly and hides behind a veil so as not to scare anyone. She doesn’t know her heart. She can’t see life as it truly is. Her sister is taken by the god of love and Orual despises him for taking her beloved sister.

In the end Orual’s suffering opens her eyes to the bitterness and anger that has devoured her life. LIght shines into her soul and she becomes awakes to life. She conlcudes we cannot be REAL Till We Have Faces.

This video will give you a general plot line for the story.

Enjoy! And share your thoughts with me by leaving me a comment below.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Comments

1. I haven’t read that book in years – I may have to pull it off the shelf again this weekend and re-read it, thanks to your post!

• Beth, if you read it again, let me know how it affected you the second time around. Have you read The Four Loves? He wrote it at the same time as TWHF. See if you can see the connections.

2. I have never read this one before. You have given me a gift today, and I am going to find this book. It sounds beautiful. I love C.S. Lewis. He is amazing.

3. This book completely surprised me. We listened to it on audio – which is such a different experience than reading it – and enjoyed every word. I think this was Lewis’ best fiction.

• Lewis liked this book the best too. This was my second reading and it was better this time and I thoroughly enjoyed it the first time. Did you know he wrote The Four Loves at the same time as TWHF? After knowing this, there are parts of TWHF where I can see flavors of TFL.

4. I enjoyed the book too, though it was a while ago so I’m not remembering the ending very clearly.

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge