The Three Faces of Eve, part 1

I mentioned last month that I would write a series this year called Women of God: Harlots, Tricksters, Judges and Queens and publish it on the first Thursday of each month. The series is about women in the Bible and what their stories teach us about the gospel. I thought it fitting to start with Eve since we are her daughters. With an understanding of paradise, paradise lost and our inheritance through redemption the gospel story is easier to see in the stories God tells us throughout the Bible.

We’re going to look at the Three Faces of Eve: her created face, her fallen face and the hope found in the inherited face of Eve. Then we’ll investigate the gospel implications for us as her daughters. Her story is published in three installments.

The Created Face of Eve

In the beginning God created….

God said. “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth,”

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food. And to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the heavens and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so. And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day. Genesis 1:26-31.

Why did God make Eve in his image?

God created Eve and Adam to bear his image because he’s awesome and wants to multiply his greatness and share himself with others. He chose man as the vehicle to imprint himself upon creation, to be the crown and glory of all he made and spread his likeness all around the world.

How was Eve affected by being made in the likeness of God?

HARMONY

The Trinity has perfect harmony with each other therefore man, made in the image of God was created in this harmonious likeness. Eve and Adam had thoughts about God and desires for him. Her heart was vacant of desires that superseded her love for God.  There wasn’t a hierarchy of wants and needs that created an internal battle about how to spend her time or with whom to spend it. It would have seemed absurd to Eve to consider whether she should work in the garden, talk to her husband or walk with God. Working in the garden and being with Adam were as much a part of life as talking with God. It wasn’t one or the other. The created face of Eve had perfect harmony in her soul, with God, Adam and creation.

SIGNIFICANCE

Eve and Adam were intensely aware of their value and importance. They understood their position as created beings. They knew God as the creator and accepted being his creation. Adam was privileged to experience God’s greatness as Creator when Eve was created from his body. Eve and Adam were rulers in the kingdom. Eve knew she was significant, important and trustworthy because she knew God, knew who he said she was and she believed God. Eve and Adam were happy to live under God’s rule and to rule in his stead, the world he created for them. They understood this was a position of importance.

Paradise was tightly entwined with deep knowledge about who God is and who he said they were. This knowledge gave Eve and Adam significance and they enjoyed this reality in their souls, with God, his creation, and each other.

Paradise was a free gift from God. They did not ask for it. It was all God’s idea because he is so good. God asked Eve and Adam to live within his boundaries as created beings.  He said, “You may eat of any fruit in the garden except the fruit from the Tree of Life. If you eat from it you will die,”

God was God and Eve and Adam were creations. Their job was to rule creation, even the slithering animals, but not God.

I imagine Eve ruminating and thinking about this one rule, “If I do not eat from the Tree, my life will stay as it is, but what does it mean to “die”? I walk and talk with God every day. I wonder if “die” means we won’t walk and talk with him?” Eve hasn’t experienced death but she knows it’s true the same way you and I know robbing a bank is wrong even though we haven’t stolen money before.

Will the created face of Eve last for eternity? 

When I complete this series you will be able to follow this link to read The Fallen Face of Eve and this link to read our hope that is found in The Inherited Face of Eve.

How do you long for harmony?

What causes you to doubt your significance?

How do you get tangled up in doubt and confusion about your identity in the likeness of God?

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge