Writing An Unpredictable Climax

For all my ROWing friends, I’ve placed a blog hop at the end of this post to make it easy for you to find and encourage a fellow ROWer.

Last week my new grandson, Grayson Stefan Flanders was born and it was an exciting event. My daughter has extremely short labor. We thought this one was going to be an exception when she remained at a dilation of 5cm for quite awhile. The climax of the story snuck up on us when she went from 5cm to a 10cm in minutes. There was no time to call the doctor. The nurse didn’t have the delivery tools in the room. The bed had not been adjusted for labor and there was no time for any of the above. Jon, her husband reached for a pair of gloves and caught the baby in the nick of time. I suppose it’s not the ideal situation but when the climax is a surprise, it makes for a really good story.

How about you? How do you lead your reader to the climax without being predictable? I want to learn from your experience.

What exciting, unexpected event have you witnessed? What happened? How did you feel? Have you ever included a real story’s climax into  your fiction? I love to hear your stories.

2012, First Quarter, Week 4
Family Time
* Evenings, Saturdays and Sundays
Learn the Tenor Banjo
* 1 lesson per month, practice 30 minutes/evenings
Writing Education
* Read 30 minutes in writing craft book, Hooked, before 8:30 AM
* Read non-lit club fiction, The Hobbit, 30 minutes before bed.

Fiction Writing
Before 8:30 A.M., M-F
Developing the character’s personalities

Teach School – 8:30-1, M-F
Math – 4 lessons x 1 boy
Grammar – 4 lessons x 2 boys
Writing – 1 assignment x 2 boys
Tapestry Week 9
Science – 4 days x 2 boys
Read Literature Club classical book, The Iliad before January 30 (audio in the car, evenings after supper, ….)

Non-Fiction
1:30-4, M, T, W, F; Th-12-2
Check FOF for articles I can write.
Check family’s FB posts and comment, 10 minutes.
Read 3 blogs per day (30-minute timer).
Write Blog Post: Schedule for Tuesday, “Literature Club, The Iliad.”
Write The 3 Faces of Eve for KIP.

Interested in Row80?
 Signing up is easy. Click here to read the Row80 Blog.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Comments

1. Congratulations on Grayson Stefan. I’m not sure if there is any connection, but Stefan is a name with Romanian origin?

I have a plan for my climax, we’ll have to see how it pans out during the rest of this round of ROW80. 🙂

You have some very specific goals, which is excellent. I so want to re-read the Hobbit sometime.

2. Wow, that is quite a story! I can’t even imagine how chaotic that scene was, with the husband catching the baby and shouting for a nurse or doctor or someone lol. I’d have demanded a discount on the bill since they obviously didn’t do the entire job ;-).

• Melinda, it was exciting to say the least. I feel so privileged that the kids allow me to be present during this time. My daughter has her children naturally and I’m happy I can support them.

3. Congrats on your new grand baby! Glad everything went smoothly.

As for your question, I will say the climax of my book INTO THE DARK changed on me as I wrote it, because I realized one significant thing I’d planned on just didn’t make sense. So while part of the climax was inevitable from the beginning, I think it also has a twist that works. Does that make sense, lol?

Great week!

• That makes sense. I keep hearing how everyone’s story and characters begin to lead the way instead of the writer. This fascinates me. My friends at Row80 teach me so much. This encourages me in my new project. Fiction writing is brand new to me. Thanks for sharing your story.

4. Well nice ending to that story – no one will forget that birth in a hurry 🙂 all the best for coming week

5. Good catch, Jon! Being the dad of four daughters I can say this: it will just be the first of many. Congrats to you and your family on the new arrival, Ali. I’m sure you are all gathered about to coo and aww. Have a great week, Ali 🙂

• Love your peek into the future. I have 4 of my own, 2 girls and 2 boys and you’re right, life is full of catches.

6. Wow! What a great story! So glad for the happy ending.

• I’m pleased about the ending too. Looking back I see the outcomes that might have been and shudder. We’re grateful.

7. It sounds like little Grayson was in a big hurry to join the outside world! I’m so happy it all worked out well. I love his name, it’s very sophisticated. Have a great week, Ali!

• Yes, he seemed to be in a hurry but since then, he’s so laid back and peaceful. It will be fun to watch and learn his personality.

8. Hi Ali! Congratulations on the new Grandbaby! That was certainly exciting! As you know I am new to ROW80 and I’m making the rounds today trying to visit as many ROW friends as possible while introducing myself. I’m trying to widen out my little circle of friends since graduating from WANA, if you want to call it that. I love your site and you always have an encouraging post. I look forward to getting to know you better as time goes on. Please enjoy that new little bundle of joy! Take care! 🙂

• Yes Karen, I saw that you intended to visit everyone. You’re so sweet. Thank you for the complement on the blog. I enjoy encouraging others. I’m hopping over to your blog after I school my boys this morning. Glad you joined us here.

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge