Christmas: A Season for Waiting

"Waiting" by Ali

Luke 1:24 & 25, After these days his wife Elizabeth conceived, and for five months she kept herself hidden, saying, “Thus the Lord has done for me in the days when he looked on me, to take away my reproach among people.”

Dear Jesus,

Waiting for you is hard. It produces internal struggle with waves of emotions. It carries external struggle and suffering too. As in Elizabeth’s situation, people around us don’t understand and we’re chided for hoping, waiting for you to answer our situation.

Waiting is hard.

In the wait I learn about you and I learn about me. You become brighter and the brightness of your glory reveals my true nature as you slough off part of the old man in me. You become more beautiful and I desire you more and myself less.

Waiting cleanses.

When all hope seems lost, you appear. In the twinkling of an eye the wait is over. You are blessed and praised.

Waiting is good.

Finding the words to tell the story, the process, the explanation for an end to the wait is impossible. I try, but I can’t. I just know, profoundly know, that you are near. You are at work. You are awesome and worthy to be praised. I feel a giggle in my heart at the notion of the One True God personally hearing the cries of my heart and answering. The laughter I feel is private, something to savor and be nourished by.

Waiting produces love.

Thank you Jesus for making waiting part of living.

Dear Friend,

I believe Elizabeth felt this giggle in her heart as she kept herself hidden for five months. She could have gloated to her friends, “You’ve chided and poked fun of me for years because I was barren. Don’t you feel foolish now?” But she didn’t.

Waiting produces life, not death.

Mary responded in a similar way when Jesus was born. “But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart.” Luke 2:19.

Waiting Delivers.

Elizabeth and Mary were women who believed God.

God promised. They waited. God appeared. They worshipped.

At the end of their wait, they were in awe and I believe there was a giggle in their hearts that words could not adequately describe so they pondered them. They worshipped and believed, “The One who promises also delivers.”

During this Christmas season I want to worship by pondering God’s goodness in my heart.

I want to remember the God who promises also delivers. Will you join me?

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Comments

1. beautiful post ali. just this past sunday our pastor taught on this exact same subject and scripture! it has stayed with me all week – just thinking about how elizabeth stayed close to God all those months, excluding the ‘outside chatter’ of doubting others. waiting is a good place – as you say…it does SO much fo our faith, our spirit and our hearts. God is so good…thank you for sharing this lovely reminder today.

xo

• Thank you for your comments. How neat that you heard a sermon last Sunday on this subject. Elizabeth’s story encourages me too. She was like us, a mere woman. She had to have felt like a normal person who loved God and then, he gives her the desire of her heart. She loved him even if he didn’t give it to her. Therefore, she didn’t just love him more because he gave her what she wanted. She loved him more in the sense of knowing him better. He was more revealed to her. Add to that the fact that he, as awesome as he is, took the time to take care of her in a special way. Her intimacy with him grew and this gave a rest in her soul that only grace can provide and it gave her a giggle in her heart.

I love how personal God is.

2. Beautiful, Ali!

PS Can’t remember the user name and password for the Lit club. Would you mind emailing it to me?

Thanks!
    Candace

• Glad you liked the post. I was reading through Luke for the month of December and when I read Elizabeth’s story I was struck by her joy from God keeping his word. I’ll email the information to you.

3. This was perfect for me this morning!

4. This is a beautiful post, Ali. I’ve not thought about “waiting” in this way.

Also, love the peek into your home. It looks gorgeous. Not surprised at all, but missing you still.

5. This past year, my mom has been teaching a class to the jr. high and High School girls of our class about “True Womanhood.” Mary was the woman that we kept looking back to about how she was such a true woman. Thanks for sharing this and reminding me to “Wait on the Lord!” It reminds me how being a true woman does not involve trying to impress, but by being satisfied with God’s approval! 🙂

• “Being satisfied with God’s approval,” I love that statement. You’re a special lady, very approved by God. *SMILE*

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge