Underwater Pyramids of Japan

Ancient HIStory

Friday posts are devoted to exploring HIStory, the unfolding of God’s story as he has written it.

Today let’s explore…

The Underwater Pyramids of Japan

japan_15

Photo by Doremon360

Our literature club is reading books during ancient times so for this school year we’ll explore Ancient HIStory on Fridays. I plan to share interesting, amazing, and fun facts about the ancient world. I want our children to get the most out of reading. One method for doing this is to connect the stories they read to real people, real places with real lives.

When I hear the word pyramid I think Egypt. I was surprised to learn about the underwater pyramids found in the waters around Japan. Here are some books you might want to read when you study ancient Japan. Below the list is an article about Underwater Pyramids and below that you’ll find a full length video made by the History Channel.

Books set in Ancient Japan

The Cat Who Went to Heaven, by Elizabeth Coatsworth, set in Ancient Japan, Newbery winner

Shogun, by James Clav

National Geographic Article on the Underwater Pyramids

Japan’s Ancient Underwater “Pyramid” Mystifies Scholars

Julian Ryall in Tokyo
for National Geographic News
September 19, 2007

Submerged stone structures lying just below the waters off Yonaguni Jima are actually the ruins of a Japanese Atlantis—an ancient city sunk by an earthquake about 2,000 years ago.

That’s the belief of Masaaki Kimura, a marine geologist at the University of the Ryukyus in Japan who has been diving at the site to measure and map its formations for more than 15 years.

Each time he returns to the dive boat, Kimura said, he is more convinced than ever that below him rest the remains of a 5,000-year-old city.

“The largest structure looks like a complicated, monolithic, stepped pyramid that rises from a depth of 25 meters [82 feet],” said Kimura, who presented his latest theories about the site at a scientific conference in June.

But like other stories of sunken cities, Kimura’s claims have attracted controversy. Continue reading….

History Channel episode on the Underwater Pyramids in Japan

Living Outside the Lines in Ancient HIStory

How do you connect books to real people, places and events?

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Comments

1. Tameri Etherton says:

Very interesting! I've heard of these underwater marvels and am so intrigued with who built them and why. Thanks for reigniting my curiosity!

2. Looks too perfect to be natural. I'd go with the man-made sunken city theory.

3. I didn't know about these! How fascinating! We just finished studying Ancient China, but I think we'll return here tomorrow to discuss Japan. 🙂

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge