Ancient HIStory Literature Booklist for 4th-8th Grade and High School

Ancient HIStory

HIS·to·ry      noun \ˈhis-t(ə-)rē\     plural HIS·to·ries

Definition of HIStory

1: talestory
: a chronological record of significant events (as affecting a nation or institution) often including an explanation of their causes
: a branch of knowledge that records and explains past events
4 : the study of God’s story as he has written it for us.

Friday posts are now devoted to exploring HIStory,

the unfolding of God’s story as he has written it.

Our literature club is reading books during the ancient times so for this school year I thought it would be fun to explore Ancient HIStory on Fridays. I plan to share interesting, amazing, and fun facts about the ancient world. I want our children to get the most out of reading. One way to do this it to connect the stories they read to real people, real places with real lives.

Today let’s explore…

Booklists that are rich and fun for all ages to read and discuss in a group.

These two lists contain the books our club is reading this year. Feel free to use this list in your group. If you click on a book it will take you to Amazon, but I don’t expect you to buy it for my sake. I just use the carousel becasue it’s so cute:)

4th-8th Grade Ancient HIStory List

High School Ancient HIStory List

Living Outside the Lines with Ancient HIStory Books

What books from Ancient HIStory have you read?

Which ones have you discussed with a group?

Are you more likely to read a book that’s out of your genre of choice if you have a group to discuss it with?

What title from Ancient HIStory would you like to read?

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Comments

1. I'm definitely not a history buff, but Scripture does fascinate me! Christ is such a powerful storyteller:)

Happy Friday!

• Tamika, I used to feel the same way about history. I wasn't a history buff (and I'm still no expert) until I started reading with a literature club. I began to see how so much of what I read was about real people living in God's story. History gained meaning.

One reason I love reading the ancients is because all the people in the Old Testament lived during ancient times. When I was reading the ancients with a club in 2002 and I was doing research for our discussion on The Odyssey, I discovered that it was being written by Homer at the same time as Elijah defended the worship of God over the god Baal by calling down fire from heaven. { I Kings 18:20-40, http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20k… }

History became valuable to me at that very moment. The world and God's story became much larger and his gospel grew in my eyes as I learned more about the world in which the people of the Bible were living and how God interacted with them. The Bible became richer to me.

Beyond the Ancient Times, history makes the Bible richer for me because God sent his Son to die for every one who has been born and will be born in the future. It now fascinates me to learn about all the stories, all HIStory, through all the ages. History became living for me when I placed it beside the hope of the gospel throughout all time. That is why I call Friday posts, HIStory instead of history. Thanks for posting.

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge