Simplifying Quiet Time

by DaloPix2

Later…Tomorrow…In a few minutes….I can multitask…

Putting things off can be a method of escape or an intentional decision while prioritizing the tasks for the day. When I put off special time with God, I suffer. Sometimes I fool myself into thinking “praying without ceasing” is a good replacement for spending time with God. You know the prayers you lift up all day long when things are tough and you ask for help or something amazing happens and you thank God on the spot? Well, this is VERY important but it just doesn’t replace my special time with him.

One day I was thinking about my relationship with a good friend of mine, and how our talks mean so much to me and it dawned on me that our friendship is a picture of what special time with God can be like. I wondered how she would feel if I only made a comment to her now and again and never set aside special time to purposefully think about what is important to her. I think she would start to believe that I did not value her or maybe she would wonder if she had done something that bothered me. Special time with God took on a whole new meaning for me when I began to see him as person.

To make my time with him more personal I wrote this list of questions to ask him before I read a Psalm or chapter of the Bible.

What do you like?

What do you dislike?

What do you want?

What makes you sad?

What makes you hurt?

What pleases you?

What are your plans?

What do you want me to know?

What do you want me to believe?

These questions may seem infantile but for me they bring special time with God down to earth. I’m so glad he used my friendship to show me how important it is to spend time getting to know who he is and what he likes. He’s a real person.

Living Outside the Lines believes God is a friend to those who love him.

Share THE Story.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Comments

1. That's a great list of questions, Ali. It can be difficult to make time with so much stuff going on, but it is so important. I'm in that "when I find balance" place right now. The whole day can go by before I realize I didn't spend any real time with God.

2. I know what that's like. When life pushes me around and I get all tangled up and skip special time with God, everything goes haywire for me until I put him at the top of my list. I don't know if it's like that for everyone but for me if he's not first in my day, I make him last.

3. great questions! i'm going to keep that list…it's a good one.

4. I've often thought about my relationship with God like this…as one with a friend — I LOVE the questions, SO very helpful. truly. I can see how this would make the scripture come alive while reading, instead of just going through the motions. Thank you Ali for sharing this…looking forward to meeting you soon! =)

Keeping it Personal,

Teri Johnson
    Teri Johnson recently posted..September 20, 2011My Profile

• The questions keep me focused. It's so easy for me to read God's word like it's an encyclopedia instead of a love letter.

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge