Hiding in the Garden

Tangled Vines -- Old Saybrook CT.

Photo by Tom Henthorn

Andrew Peterson – Just As I Am
All of my life I’ve held onto this fear

These thistles and vines ensnare and entwine

What flowers appeared

It’s the fear that I’ll fall one too many times

It’s the fear that His love is no better than mine…

When I think God’s love is no better than mine, I run and hide. I hide from him and I hide from you. If his love is like mine, he’ll reject and condemn me when I do wrong things and if his love is like that what will yours be like? So I hide. Just like Eve did in the garden.

but He tells me that…

But then he tells me that…

Just as I am and just as I was

Just as I will be He loves me, He does

He showed me the day that

He shed His own blood.

Living Outside the Lines trusts God’s great promises, and therefore there is no reason to hide.

Do you wonder if God really loves you?

Do you hide when you think he won’t approve you?

What do you do when you fear his love is no better than your own?

Share THE Story.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Comments

1. This was beautiful, and so very true! Thanks be to God for His great gift, Jesus Christ. There is no greater love.

I remember a time I felt spent on loving. The Spirit said to me- your love isn't will always run out but my love is wide enough for the whole world.

That's good news!

2. I'm not sure I've ever thought about God's love in this way, as if His love were similar to my love, as if He could stop loving me. I suppose I've accepted that He is, so therefore, He loves differently, perfectly, and I can only attempt to imitate.

The facet of His love which confounds me is His intolerance for sin. It makes perfect sense, yet is so far removed from human love. Indeed, He is wonderfully kind and loving to send His Son to make us clean. The breadth and depth of such an act is magnificent, but I cannot comprehend it.

3. It's wonderful that you've never thought of God in this way. He ought to always be lifted high and "more" than we can imagine. I cannot comprehend the depth and breadth of his love either but it's positively beautiful.

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge