Have You Been Inoculated?

“If only I had planned better, things would not be so stressful.”

“When my deadlines are met, life will calm down.”

“When the children are out of the toddler stage I won’t feel so tired.”

Flu vaccinations make their way to U.S. Army in Europe

Photo by USACE Europe District

I’m a planner and organizer. These are good skills and very beneficial to me and others but I am prone to think of productivity tools as the answer to life’s stressors or the way to walk into a new situation and have a guarantee of ease and peace instead of looking to Christ for life. There are all kinds of circumstances that produce stress: school starting back, tests to study for, parenting toddlers, moving to a new city or country, job loss, job gained, Christmas shopping, dinner parties, and the list goes on and on and on.  It’s easy for me to forget who I am and reach into my organizing tool box to solve life’s problems and bring peace to my heart.

The small pox vaccination was a shot that placed an organism into my body to prevent me from getting small pox. If I get exposed to the disease I won’t get sick and die. Salvation is an inoculation against eternal death, NOT the effects of living in a fallen world. Salvation is an eternal connection to the one, true and living God. This gives me peace, hope and life even when circumstances feel consuming.

Planning and organizing are necessary for productivity. They don’t deliver life, but the Gospel does.

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” John 14:27

Living Outside the Lines finds rest in the Gospel.

How do you rely upon the Gospel when life feels out of control and crazy?

Share THE Story.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Comments

1. Hi, Ali. My inoculation was against erroneous interpretations surrounding beautiful and/or threatening words included in religious practices of any faith. All the threats perceived in many writings pertain to that part of us which needs to go, die or be pruned spiritually, so that we can reap an abundant life without the limitations of negativity. As such, I don't think God ministers eternal death to any part of us that he has directed toward goodness, and the end result is that during the whole process, God is ministering abundant life to the truth within us. Even seeds experience a mini death before germination, but it isn't permanent.

My spiritual quest answered these wonderful scriptures in full for me.

"Seek and ye shall find"

"Knock and it shall be opened unto you"

"Ask and it shall be given unto you"

"You shall know the truth and the truth will set you free."

The lessons I learned while walking through the labyrinth of my soul's evolution are within me, and I draw upon thsse when I step in a hole or am troubled. Peace soon arrives. Probably the same thing, as I might say the words are such a part of me they are alive within me.

2. Love the analogy. =)

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge