Love Stories

How Does Your Anchor Hold?

“Therefore we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, lest we drift away from it.” Hebrews 2:1.

Drifting, is a nautical term for a boat that is not properly anchored. Anchoring a boat protects if from being carried away with changing tides and currents.

What are changing tides and currents?

Change, difficulties, blessings, addition of a baby, start to school, conflict with others, weddings, funerals, job loss, job gained, sell a house, buy a house, all the decisions in between, have a garage sale, prepare for it, move away from friends, adjust to new ones… and the list goes on and on and on. I find it is so easy to look at all that has to be done and loose sight of God. I want my circumstances to change so I’ll feel better but this only drags me from one current to the next. So, what can I do?

Anchor the Boat

Christ is the anchor that steadies my life. He’s the answer to every question I can fathom and every circumstance that comes my way. Beholding Christ anchors me. I’m goal oriented, a planner, one who gets things done, makes the list, assigns the actions and works the plan. That’s fine until the currents shift and the tide presses in and I feel my weakness. When I’m overwhelmed and looking at my circumstances to change so I can find relief, the last thing I need to do is put another process in place so that I can find the precious peace that alludes me. I must behold Christ by looking for him in his word and praying his word back to him. The immediate circumstances don’t necessarily change but by gazing at him, I am changed and he is glorified and isn’t that the point anyway?

How are you pulled off course?

How does your anchor hold?

Share YOUR Story.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Comments

1. I really can associate to that! Whenever I am busy and doing tons of things, I loose sight of what really matters, Jesus! Thank you for that encouraging blog post.

2. Yup, I get distracted by my to-do lists. I'm also a worrier who approaches problems like a chess board, trying to see all possible moves and outcomes rather than taking a step back and asking, "God, what do You want me to do?" and then trusting that the next move after that is in His hands.

One of the things I do to re-anchor myself is pull out A. W. Tozer's "The Pursuit of God." I love that book. Tozer takes what sermons today make out to be complicated processes and reminds me what following after God really is, and even though it's not easy, it is simple.

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge