The Gospel and the Titus 2 Woman

What is the call upon a woman’s life according to Titus 2?

Titus 2:3-5 says, “Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior,not slanderersor slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled,pure,working at home, kind, andsubmissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.”

When I see a young woman suffering, it is soooo tempting to tell her what she ought to do. If she complains about the difficulty she has keeping up with household chores and children, I want to show her how organizing her home and her schedule will calm down the frustration she feels. If her finances are stressing her out, I think, “Sweetheart, let’s just set up a budget for you and everything will be all right. Just let me show you how to live and your life can be as good as mine.” WHO AM I KIDDING!

This approach leads to hopelessness, not helpfulness. When I approach a woman’s heart with, “This is what you ought to do. This is what I did, and it works,” I have successfully taught her, “If you fix the practical things in life, everything will be okay. Just watch me.”

Will a budget help? Probably. Will home organization relieve some pressure? I think so, but the young woman before me doesn’t need to focus her attention on me. She needs to see Jesus in the middle of her life and learn reliance upon him for everything. There will always be dirty dishes, laundry, arguments, wayward children, and financial issues to handle. The question I must answer every day and the question she must learn to ask herself is, “Where am I placing my trust for the current situation?”

If Titus 2:3-5 is more than a list of tasks, what is it calling us to do? To love one another, heart to heart, WHILE doing the dishes, changing diapers, strolling in the park, and working on the finances. This interim between hearing a friend’s need and a changed heart requires the gospel: the love of God, patience, prayer, and a lot of time. I must be willing to sacrifice for my friend, get messy with her and maybe get hurt along the way. I become a fellow sinner in need of grace and the gospel grows deeper and wider in both of us.

“The Titus 2 woman lives Christ BEFORE her young friend and WITH her.”

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge