Slow Fade, by Casting Crowns

On the way to take James to a film class this evening the song, “Slow Fade,” by Casting Crowns came on the radio. As I enjoyed it, I began to wonder about its message. Is it telling me to be careful and make good choices? This scares me. If the power to avoid “Slow Fade” rests in my control I’m doomed!

Maybe the proper response to the reality that “Slow Fade” occurs is humility; to recognize how easy it is to fall and cry out to a loving Father to protect me from the evil one (Psalm 21). Asking him for grace to see the way he sees and to put his words and thoughts in my mind; to cause me to want what he wants. Now there’s HOPE!

It is desperately easy to “Slow Fade”. Only Jesus’ work on the cross can redeem me from following after things that lead me away from him. Do I like the song? I believe I do. It reminds me of my weakness and need for Christ in every tiny little place of my heart.

Click on the link below to hear and see the lyrics. Let me know what you think. I hope it encourages you, as it does me, to remember my neediness and the Savior’s ability to meet my need.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Want Help Starting Your Book Club? Read This Post.

Comments

1. Jerri Lynn says:

The video makes me think of parents who are not being faithful to their spouse and how it affects their children; I don't have children, but I work with 3, 4 and 5 year olds weekly at church. Yes…I think to myself "what if I had a child and they saw me straying from their father"…but mostly I think of all of those 3, 4 and 5 year olds (approx. 17 each week) watching me thinking…"be careful little eyes…". I need to be an example. But I also think of co-workers, friends, family…their eyes are watching me and their ears are hearing me…regardless of their age…..I need to think about my actions. "Slow Fade"….makes sense to me..straying can be a slow fade…..God knows what I am talking about and that is what matters…it is so painful to think about. I want to be careful of my actions.

• We ought to be aware of an onlooking world. We are called to be the Body of Christ to a lost world. My caution is to remember it is never in my ability to carry out this call. This pushes me to purposefully seek him in humility. Make sense?

2. I love this song, too. My experience with the subject brought me to the realization that I, as a Christian, had also allowed myself to be tempted away (and it IS a slow fade) — from God. Because marriage is a picture of the relationship we (the Bride) have with Christ, the words of this song have a double meaning for me.

• Your the second person to specifically think of marriage in this song. I love the way you put it. Our marriages are a picture of Christ and the church The implications of that are vast. Actually that's a topic I've been thinking about lately and considering how I might approach it on the blog. We'll see:) Thanks for your comment.

3. i saw a few comments somewhere else re the application to marriage for this song. I can see where that can apply, but i saw how almost anytime I focus on the wrong thing, i get drawn away from Christ and deluded into thinking in grays rather than black and white of God's commands. i'm very good at rationalizing. it is so easy to have a "good" motivation to do the wrong thing and kid ourselves that we are doing the right thing.
    i never heard this song b/f. i like it.

Speak Your Mind

CommentLuv badge